Thursday, November 02, 2006

Not the first non serendipitious discovery but...(part 2)

I committed to myself to look great again and mentally prepared to go through a tough period.. But who would have thought of it.. It was really hell as i think back. I started my diet of no rice and purely vegetables and meat. My mood declined and i became extremely irritable, and i basically snapped at my poor camp friends at the slightest thing like talking too loudly while i was doing work or disturbing me when i'm sleeping. I do apologise a while afterward but i just can't help it... I felt really terrible. My jogging regime was even worse. I practically forced myself to jog / run / sprint and many times collapsed in a heap. It was really terrible. Many times i felt like giving up and laze at home, but it was mum who keep pressuring me to go jog or so. I would create that "forced-to-do-it" feeling that i always harbour against my mum.

Whenever i felt like snacking or eating extra portions, it was also mum who stopped me and again made me hate her for not letting me eat. Granted, i could ignore her and continue but something inside me made me gave in to what she tells me to. I became more active in sports and stuff, and who would have though of that... I had to stop my regime for 2 weeks entirely, during this year's chinese new year period. I forgot to bring my shoes during our camp's weekly games day and couldn't play soccer with the rest of them. Being the chums they are, they knew i trying to lose weight and again pressured me to join them. After playing a while in half uniform with working shoes (=.="), i realised that my reflexes were real handicapped because of the shoes.... SOOO, i took it off and had only socks on my feet as i played. Oh yes, did i mention it was a god damn street soccer court? The floor was rock hard concrete, and soon i feel a strange sensation building in both the soles of my feet. I ignored it and continued playing soccer. After about almost an hour, i literally felt my feet burning and so i stopped. At first, i assumed it must be the friction only so i paid it no mind, but with every step i take, a sharp stinging pain jolted both my feet and i had to walk on the sides of my feet in a strange manner, albeit to the stares coming from everyone. It was then when i got home and took off my socks that i had the shock of my life.... The entire skin of both feet soles were peeling off!!! No wonder i felt so terrible when i tried to walk. Can you imagine the pain of walking slowly and painfully to get water to drink or thinking twice about whether to answer nature's call when i had a stomachache or had a full bladder. Many times, i had to endure the miserable feeling until i absolutely couldnt stand it and limped / hobbled my way to the toilet to relieve myself

I decided on getting a MC from a doctor to tide it over so i got mum to bring me to a polyclinic and i called my camp warrant officer to tell him what happened and for permission to report sick outside. He agreed and we took a cab to the polyclinic and waitied for our turn after performing the neccesary registration procedures. It was almost my turn after waiting for half an hour when i received a call from camp. I took it , and almost immediately wished i didn't. He told me to come back to the camp medical centre to get a medical leave and get my legs treated. Amidst the colourful verbal swearing and getting dressed in uniform again, i grudingly went back to the camp medical centre. I didn't get a medical leave but got my feet bandaged after some painful iodine treatment. As my skin was peeling off to reveal the muscle underneath, it was raw and tender and the slightest touch can jolt me terribly. And to think the medic was a plump malay guy who said he had to use tweezers to take out some dirt underneath the skin, it was a fun filled half an hour in the treatment room where i suffered in silence. ( I couldn't scream cos i was in camp, as much as i wanted to...) I even had to do duty in camp but luckily our duty was sedentary office stationing so it wasn't that bad (I brought my PS2 to play as my CNY duty day was CNY eve in the morning to evening only (lucky me) )

When i got back to office, my warrant officer expressed his apologies as he didnt know there was no medical leave granted for such conditions. I smiled unconvincingly but there was a burning rage i harboured inside against the sadistic sonuva-***** for making me come back. Nevertheless, Chinese new year came and my maternal family members came for their annual steamboat reunion dinner every CNY eve and ooooed / ahhhhed at my poor feet.

Nevertheless, i was out of action for 2 weeks and my mum said i seemed to have put on some weight again.. It was then that i swore to myself, i'm gonna work doubly hard when i recover!!

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home